The Fight Against Cancer: The Journey So Far

My next (and final) fundraising milestone is $6,000 - due Feb 11 (this Friday). This post is a quick entry on my journey so far.

Where I came from
I started off with no donations, having never raised so much money before. The idea of raising $6,000 frankly scared me. I remember the feeling when I got my first donation - I was ecstatic! Even still, every donation does a lot to encourage me in my fight against blood cancer.

And in terms of running, I have been running for fun the past few years and have done a few half marathons. However, this is my first full marathon and the first race where I'm using (and need to use) a training plan. 42.2km - respect the distance =)

Where I am
I'm currently sitting at my dining table at home typing this blog post =) I'm now at $2,814 (47% of my goal) ... I'm blown away! And not only gracious donors, but I've had some great friends who have volunteered their time to help me organize different initiatives to help raise money. Some of the initiatives include an awesome bake sale and selling inspirational postcards, with photos taken from my friends.

I've also become a stronger runner. I did my long run this past weekend and am currently sore every time I sit down or walk down stairs. I took a couple weeks break from training being too sick to run (my previous attempts are chronicled here).

Where I am going

I'm shooting to raise $6,000 for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society of Canada (LLSC). No more than 25% of this money covers administrative / logistic expenses. The rest of this money goes directly to the mission of LLSC, including funding lifesaving research, improving patient services, and educating our society of blood cancers.

I'm also training for my 1st full marathon. Having mostly recovered from my sickness, I'm pretty much back on track with my training plan. My eventual goal is to qualify for Boston. While this may not be realistic for the Rome Marathon, Boston is more of a long term plan (along with qualifying for the Ironman in Hawaii and running an ultramarathon!)

How about you?

Where did you come from?
Where are you now?
Where are you going?

In life ... relationships ... career ... fitness ... dreams ... or whatever you care to share

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit