Training ... in sickness and in health

Photo credits: Kenneth Leung, UTCCF Winter Retreat

Looking Up

Looking back at my facebook photos, I found this picture, which captures how I am feeling at present. I'm tired. Sick. In pain. Desperate. And needing to look up. Needing to look to Jesus instead of myself or those around me.

Yesterday's Lethargic Run at the AC

I went to the AC yesterday to do some running and light weights. I quickly realized how weak I have become, likely due to the combined effect of my sickness and lack of energy recently. I was quite tired and was passed several times by New Dragons athletes, other runners, girls (!), and a speed walker! I would break into coughs after a few laps and my body would be quickly tired.

No excuses

I am usually not one to make excuses and have the reputation of pushing myself beyond my limits, often beyond what is good for me. In this case, this was the best I could manage in my given state of health. I thought about my sponsors who believe in me. About the people who are fighting cancer, or have fought. About the reason I do this. And despite everything, I still have to give it my best, whatever this "best" is.

Swimming

Today I went swimming at the AC. Usually, when I go swimming after having not gone for a while, my lungs give out. This time, my arms gave out! My weakness really hit me. I still have a long way to recover.

I decided to swim to give my back a break. I even considered doing some Yoga as well. For me, showing up was my goal. To develop good habits. A lifestyle of discipline and consistency.

I ended up playing in the pool. After a few laps, I hung out underwater, lost in the deep sea of my thoughts. Moments like these are what I enjoy most about swimming or running. The clarity of mind and peace that ensues.

What next?

For those following my training, I apologize for my lack of strict adherence to the program. However, please know that I am doing the best that I can. On the fundraising side, I am quite worried about having the raise twice the amount I have raised so far ($4,000) in half the time (by Feb 11). If you have the means or fundraising ideas, I would appreciate it a lot. I will be at the LCBO this Saturday telling people about leukemia and lymphoma and raising funds for my run in Rome. Wish me luck!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit