Cutting (back) caffeine - A 7-day experiment

Coffee is delicious.

I absolutely love the warmth, the taste, and the energy I get from a freshly brewed cup of coffee.

But too much coffee can be dangerous. As can too much of anything.

I came across an article on the Art of Manliness about how to quit caffeine, or at least cut back.

Not everyone needs or wants to cut back. For me, I know I need to cut back. Here are some reasons I want to cut back:

- Drinking coffee is like using a credit card on my energy. I borrow energy from the future, and usually end up paying it back with interest.

- Too much coffee makes it more difficult for me to breathe normally.

- I heard that caffeine can cause skin issues with some people. Not sure if this is the case for me, but I don't mind awesome looking skin :)

- I find it harder to stay hydrated on too much coffee. And when I'm hydrated, my skin feels better :) along with everything else in life.

- Caffeine can increase anger and aggression in some people. I'm not totally sure, but I know I'm a bit more irritable when I'm over-caffeinated. And being a victim to the waves of my emotions is not as cool as ruling my spirit.

These are some of my main reasons. Like many things, this is very individual. However, I often learn what works for me when I learn what works for others.

Does this mean I'm quitting caffeine?

No.

But I want to be more mindful of my caffeine consumption, and limit myself to 1 cup of coffee / day. For those that know me, this is a big step.

And for reference, 1 cup = 8 oz = Starbucks Short = Tim Hortons XS = 3/4 McDonald's Small = etc. Not one gargantuan cup of coffee per day :)

There is no limit on caffeine, as that will take care of itself. My focus will be to nourish my body with awesome food, water / tea, regular exercise, and quality sleep.

Am I going to do this forever? Nope.

I'm going to start with 1 week, ending right before my Agatsu Level 2 Certification in Montreal :) I know. Convenient, right?

If I want to go back to drinking copious amounts of coffee, I will.

If I want to try something new or keep doing what I'm doing, I will.

This is a mini-experiment after all. Let's see how it goes!

With that, it's time to dump the rest of my coffee I made this morning.

Source: Art of Manliness article, How to Quit Caffeine

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit