2015.12.10 The Importance of Practice

I've been thinking about my powerlifting program and a bit stressed that
... I've missed a few workout sessions
... I missed my planned lifts several times--likely due to an overambitious 1 rep max
... I have my first powerlifting meet end of January and can't seem to stick to a program

Today was different. I went to the gym tonight, an "off" day. I went to train not because I had to, but because my body wanted to. 

Also, I decided to shift my mindset. While I'm "working out" and "training", my goal today was "practice". I recently read a profile on Alastair MacNicol, who will be running the powerlifting meet in January. I resonate with his training philosophy:
I treat powerlifting like a skill, one that has to be practiced in order to be mastered
With the simple goal of practicing this skill, I went into the gym with resolve. I was more mindful of my movement, even my walking and posture. I felt focused, yet peaceful. Here was today's practice:
  • 3 min run on treadmill. Increase speed every 30 s if comfortable. With the increased speed, focus on staying relaxed, efficient and strong.
  • Pistols 3x5. Execute with proficiency and control.
  • Back squats 3x5 @ 135 lb. Move with intention. Practice staying tight. 
  • Pull-ups 3x5. Sub-maximal reps and full control. Focus on power on the way up.
  • Turkish get-up 1x5 10 kg. Focus on control throughout the movement.
  • Kettlebell practice 1x10 one-arm swing, 1x10 high pull, 1x10 snatch @ 18 kg.
Today, my goal was not to lift a specific weight, but to lift with intention and awareness. Of course, this is just one day. One step along a journey towards mastery. There are so many things I want to work on, let alone "master". To progress, I will start with one goal at a time. 

Now ... time for a cold rinse!



Comments

Unknown said…
This is awesome. Good for you Josh. Each step you take brings you closer to your goal, even if the Stepney out take is in the wrong direction because in realizing that you have already grown.

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit