CF Open WOD 14.1

This morning, I redid 14.1 as part of the CrossFit Open.

Some say you should only do the workout once. In general, I agree. This time, both Carm and I decided to do it a second time.

Here is a record of my scores for 14.1 (10 min of 30 double unders and 15 snatches @ 75 lb)

Last year, Feb 4, 2013: 180 reps

Last Saturday, Mar 1, 2014: 215 reps

This morning, Mar 3, 2014: 258 reps

I was pretty happy with my improvement from last year (180 to 215). I was still doing CrossFit regularly when I hit 180, which tells me I'm steadily improving my fitness, becoming a stronger version of me :)

Now ... the big improvement from Saturday to this morning?

Sure, I watched a few videos and got some good tips. Yes, I did more muscle snatches in the beginning and focused on getting my double unders unbroken. But you want to know the real secret?

Okay, here it is. Instead of loading a 45 lb bar with two 15 lb plates, I loaded a 35 lb bar with two 15 lb plates and two 5 lb plates. The smaller grip on the 35 lb was definitely a big factor.

While I'm happy with the improvement, this identified/confirmed a big weakness of mine: grip strength. This is something I will continue working on. Also, while I was pretty happy with that, I still didn't beat my brother's score of 261 (first attempt, with shin splints ....).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit