First time using a weightlifting belt

So yesterday I picked up a weightlifting belt and tried it out this morning with some relatively heavy squats. I ended up hitting my old PR (295 lb).

I used to squat low bar and now mostly squat high bar, which is a bit harder on my quads and provides a better transfer to Olympic lifts. Here is the article that converted me to a high bar back squatter.

And yes, you can lift more with a belt. You can find many articles online advocating both sides. For me, I use it to prevent injury and to get comfortable with heavier weight.

With the increased difficulty of the high bar squat and the help from the belt, I think it's fair to say I haven't lost too much strength in my quads. On the other hand, getting back into CrossFit has shown me big areas of weakness and areas where I've gotten weaker (e.g. toes to bar) and areas where my technique needs work (e.g. power cleans). Needless to say, I'm excited to get back into CrossFit again, and hope to develop as an athlete and trainer.

Here is what I did this morning, which was also my last training session at GoodLife.

Warm-up:
ArcTrainer, 5x (1:00 on, 1:00 off), increasing speed/resistance with each set
- kind of simulates an airdyne of you adjust the resistance.

Skill work:
5x, alternating between,
Handstand holds
Hollow body rocker

Strength:
Back squat (with belt after 225#)
5x135#, 4x185#, 3x225#, 2x245#, 2x265#, 2x275#, 1x295#, 0x305#, 0x305#

Met-con:
Partner WOD
5 rounds of 10 box jumps
While one partner is doing box jumps, the other partner accumulates burpees.
(My score was 48 burpees)

Post WOD mobility:
Stretch, roll and floss :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit