First Day Without Our Office Cafeteria

I survived!

Quick Preamble

For those of you who don't know, my office ended our cafeteria service at the end of 2013. Our cafeteria service was generously subsidized and underutilized. While this move made sense, both the cafeteria staff and the delicious food will be missed.

My Instagram account (@joshuahywang) has a few (too many?) food pictures featuring the creations from our cafeteria. Here is a link to a picture of my last meal from our office cafeteria.

The Benefits of Removing Convenience

No more cafeteria? You mean I can't just walk in, pay $5 and get a delicious, home-cooked meal? You mean, I have to MAKE my own lunch?

As ridiculous as this may sound to some (or maybe you feel the same), it's surprising how much convenience can mess you up if you're not careful (e.g. credit cards, vending machines, Starbucks loyalty cards, etc.).

By removing the convenience of the cafeteria, I have rediscovered my love for cooking and have done so in a practical way. There is something to be said about consuming food that you create, rather than just consuming (producing, rather than just consuming).

With an average commute exceeding an hour each way, it's important for me to prepare food that is both healthy and convenient. Here is a snapshot at what food prep last night and breakfast this morning looked like.


What are some healthy and convenient meals you make?
 
In the comments, post your favorite recipes, daily routines, food pictures or other ideas.
 

Prepared three meals including frozen veggies (not the best texture but still delicious and nutritious), frozen fish (salmon, haddock ... on sale!), and cottage cheese / salmon mix 

Three meals packed and ready to go! Next meal prep day is Wednesday!

Breakfast this morning includes pork sausages (hot Italian) and some romaine (lettuce makes everything taste healthier, as I discovered over New Year's Eve when we had Samgyeopsal, grilled Korean pork belly!)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

Agatsu Level 2 Prep