Reflections on an afternoon drive

With promises of warmer weather, field work starts up again tomorrow, and with that, the beginning of my travels this year.

I'm writing from Gananoque, near 1000 Islands, just east of Kingston. Here are a few reflections from my afternoon drive.


Reflection 1: "I am Jonah"


Today's sermon at church, our pastor talked about Jonah. So many things struck me from that sermon. I especially liked the part when the sailors asked Jonah who he was. His reply was simply: "I am a Hebrew, and I fear the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the dry land."


First reaction is "Yikes! We're messing with the wrong god!" The other thing that struck me was Jonah's identity. It reminds me of that epic moment in the movie, Gladiator, when Maximus responds to Commodus (reference).


Gladiator Quotes

[Commodus enters the Colesseum arena to greet the Spaniard]
Commodus: Rise. Rise.

[Maximus stands up, clenching an arrow head in his right hand and in that same moment Lucius runs to join Commodus standing in front of him]
Commodus: Your fame is well deserved, Spaniard. I don't think there's ever been a gladiator to match you. As for this young man, he insists you are Hector reborn. Or was it Hercules? Why doesn't the hero reveal himself and tell us all your real name? You do have a name?

Maximus: My name is Gladiator.
[turns away from Commodus]

Commodus: How dare you show your back to me! Slave, you will remove your helmet and tell me your name.

[Maximus removes his helmet and turns around to face Commodus]
Maximus: My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius. Commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.

[Commodus is clearly in shock and without words]
Quintus: Arms! 


Isn't that epic? Wow. Who are you? 


Reflection 2: Epic Worship Music


I'll end this post with two worship songs that really spoke to me:


1. Matthew West's, "Hello, My Name is". This song speaks to my identity, who I once was and who I am now in Christ. There were definitely wet eyes during this song as I was driving.


2. Jeremy Camp's, "Reckless". This song came on right after "Hello, My Name Is". When I heard it, I wanted to start rowing. Weird, huh? This song connected to a deep longing within to be reckless for His glory. To make much of Him because He has made much of me. Enough said, just listen to the song :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit