Surviving long commutes

My commute to work is generally 1-1.5 hours. Sometimes longer (~2 hrs) when there are accidents or snow storms. Sometimes shorter (~40 mins) when I leave at 4 a.m. in the morning.
 
I took the 407 this week for the first time. It was as if I left at 4 a.m. with an extra two hours of sleep! After resisting for a year, I finally caved. My commute has been, dare I say, enjoyable! 



 
I also travel for work, driving for several hours at a time. After doing a hard workout, the last thing you want to be doing is sitting still for that long. Even if you didn't workout, sitting for long stretches at a time is not good for you.
 
I picked up a pair of Skins (compression gear) for my CrossFit workouts. I use these on occasion when I know my legs might die. I've recently started wearing them on long drives and for long days at work on the field. Incredible.
 
 
The last but most important part of my commute has been the time I've had in relationships. I get to talk to coworkers I drive, to a friend I carpool with, and most importantly, to my God.

I recently picked up a cable to connect my music player to my car's stereo system. I've been able to listen to music from the Vertical Church Band. I've been incredibly encouraged. During these long but precious commutes, I get the opportunity to worship my God and talk to the one who gave His life for me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit