Managing Work-Rest

In this CrossFit video, athletes gather together for a roundtable discussion in Tahoe and discuss how to manage work and rest, among other topics. CrossFit athletes want to maximize performance. However, you cannot just keep working out. You need to rest. As Chris Spealler puts it, "No rest, no recover. No recovery, no intensity."

Physical Fitness

I've been learning to manage work and rest in physical fitness. I typically rest Thursdays and Sundays, but listen to my body first. I've also wanted to do a muscle-up for a long time. I got my first one on Friday!

How? By managing work-rest. I would make a few attempts. But my arms would quickly tell me to rest, even though I'm itching to try again, and to get it "today". As I soon learned, the most effective way to reach your goal (and stay there), is to keep working at it, a little at a time, and not giving up or getting frustrated with yourself.

Here's video proof, filmed by Kyle during the Paleo Party at CrossFit Markham. At first I only thought Tasha was filming, so this is bonus! Also, this is technically my second muscle-up, as my first one (also on video - facebook) was done about an hour earlier. Finally, for full disclosure, I had a drink (Molson Canadian) before each muscle-up (a lot more for the second). Molson Canadian = Pre-WOD :)



"Work" Fitness ?

Lately I have also been working long hours, with multiple commitments. The lessons from CrossFit transfer to other areas of my life, including work.

In the past couple days, this meant leaving a bit early during a dragonboat race to take care of some work items. It meant leaving work at 11:30 p.m. last night, instead of staying until I was done. And waking up early this morning, when I would be more effective. Had I stayed up late last night (with the help of an energy drink), my already tired / sick body would be even more tired and sick. And while I would be done "work" stuff, I would still have a paper to write for this weekend.

Managing work-rest is about energy management, a concept I find more effective than just pure time management.

Food Pics :)
CFM Paleo Party: Fabio / Jason made this awesome burger, inspired by EpicMealTime

Post-Milton Team Dinner: Montreal Smoked Meat sandwich from Peter's on Eglinton


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit