Workout Programming

As of late, my workout routine has been spontaneous, with very little regularity. In an effort to get to where I want to be, I should at least be doing something consistently. Here are some short term plans.

Goals (where I want to be)


Run 30-40 km injury-free
- March 25: Around the Bay 30 K, 3:30 pacer
- May 6: Mississauga Marathon, 4:30 pacer

Benchmark goals


5 K row
- Current, 20:28
- Goal, sub 20 min by end of March

Chest-to-bar kipping pull-up (with the goal to work towards bar / ring muscle-ups)
- Goal, 20 unbroken reps by end of March

Snatch
- Current 1 RM, 115#
- Goal, 135# 1 RM by end of March

Find 3 RM for the following:
- Squat, deadlift, clean, shoulder press, bench press

My (organic) Plan


Here is a preliminary plan based on this week's workouts so far. Feedback / advice definitely welcomed! =) I'm trying to work towards CrossFit Endurance programming, but still have a long way to go. For example, the site shows that I should start with 8 x 500 m row working to 4-5 x 1 k row. I'm currently at 4 x 500 m ... though this was right after a WOD.

Monday
Strength / 1 RM attempts
WOD
5 K row

Tuesday
3 RM
WOD
500 m row intervals (today was 4 rounds)

I need to figure out where to put my strength-specific training, met-con work, and CFE work. As a thought, here's a preliminary program. I'll try to stick to something like this for the week.

Day: [strength] || [met-con] || [CFE]


Monday: Strength (1 RM) || met-con || CFE (5 K row)
Tuesday: Strength (3 RM) || met-con || CFE (Row 500 m x 8)
Wednesday: Strength (off) || off / hot yoga (?) || CFE (tempo run, 30 min)
Thursday: Strength (5x5) || met-con || CFE (off)
Friday: Strength (off) || met-con || CFE (hill repeats)
Saturday: Strength (6x4) || off || CFE (off)
Sunday: Strength (off) || off / hot-yoga (?) || long-run (60-90 mins)

Notes:
- Strength: Exercise depends on CrossFit Markham Programming, and any other that may be needed
- met-con are CF WODs
- While I'm training for running, I'm adding rowing to help minimize injury (I'll build up mileage as my legs feel better)
- Skill work every opportunity I have, with a focus on muscle-up progressions, and handstand push-ups
- Do the CF warm-up (this will help with kipping pull-up)

Comments

Gurbani said…
Hot yoga is exhausting, refreshing and amazing. Definitely give it a go!
Josh Wang said…
Awesome! I have this 20-ticket deal for Bikram Hot Yoga. I've been to a couple already--exhausting, refreshing, and amazing ... well put!

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit