Paleo Challenge - Day 7: The Fall of the Paleo Bunny

Spiritual Juice


"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
-- Isaiah 40:31

One of my all-time favorite verses, and especially applicable to my 30 K run today in Hamilton. Throughout the race, I kept asking for strength and endurance. I knew I was barely prepared. I wasn't in perfect condition, but had much to be thankful for too--no washroom break during the entire race! I had to rely on Him also after the race, but more on that below!


WOD


Run 30 K
Target time: 3:30
Chip time (~3:28), Gun time (~3:33)
Dressed way to warm with the black upper and lower base layers. Sweating after the first km.

Nutrition


So this is where I talk about what I eat. For the most part, I was Paleo today (yea, you can see what's coming). I even ran the entire race Paleo-style. In my own mind, I was the Paleo Bunny =) I fueled using coconut water, chia seeds, lime, water, and Vega pre-workout. 


There were moments of struggle throughout the race--not just physically, but also wanting to grab a Gatorade--but I resisted :) I felt like a champion running into the Copps Coliseum--what a cool finish! And then ...


And then, I was handed a bag, and got in line. I was handed ...
... a bottle of water--refreshing!
... a bag of soft muesli pitas--uh oh....
... a Rice Krispies square--my demise....
... a banana--appreciated :)
... 


And then, I made another mistake. I sat down. I realized this was a mistake only after I stood up.


Anyways, for the next hour, I pretty much said, "Screw the Paleo Challenge!" I scarfed down the pitas. And then I ate the Rice Krispies square--that was a mistake. My stomach didn't feel well after.


I battled downtown Hamilton traffic and got on the highway. I then found a Subway and ordered a Coke Zero (and a sub sandwich .... yea, this is what I meant by "an hour after my race"). I could barely eat since I felt pretty bad. The Coke definitely helped though. I think it was the carbonated water. Anyways, after some downtime, I felt better to resume my drive home.


So, my lesson? Running Paleo is possible, and was quite fun! Eating no-Paleo, post long run, and while on the Paleo Challenge .... foolish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit