The True Meaning of 4-Dimensional Fitness


(Photo: Lake Superior, outside Quebec Lodge in Red Rock, where I stayed for work in Northern Ontario)

What does it mean to be 4-dimensionally fit, being fit in body, mind, heart, and soul?

Many of these concepts start off as ideals, and either solidify or crumble when put through fire. Our understanding of the world is often coloured by our own life experiences. For example, does unconditional love exist? Whether or not this is true, if we have only experienced conditional love, it will be hard to believe in the existence of a greater love, especially if we have been deeply hurt in the past.

The idea of 4-dimensional fitness sounded great! I was in school and definitely had my share of challenges and difficulties. However, 4-D fitness made sense. The balance in the chaos made sense. I was not always balanced, but I could see what it looks like and how I could get there.

Learning through adversity

I recently started working. I really enjoy my work and find the projects interesting. However, working is not without its challenges.
  • Unlike graduate school, I had to be at work for relatively fixed portions of the day.
  • The commute was long and strenuous. I could not find time to workout and enjoy the activities I once did when in schol. I found myself beginning to be consumed by work.
  • While the job is enjoyable and the people fun, the demands of the job are sometimes difficult to adapt to. Different personalities, competing priorities, and pressing deadlines all contribute to a vibrant work environment. I found my emotional energy (and sometimes mental capacity) often being drained without being refreshed.
I was running on empty.

4-D Fitness for this Crazy World

I have a concept of 4-D fitness, but I still do not understand it yet. There are still many challenges and complexities in life. One cannot simply live naively.

Ultimately, I want to answer the question: How do I be fit (i.e. having the capacity to perform my utmost for His utmost)?

How do I be a fit employee, doing my work wholeheartedly and with excellence?
How do I be a fit boyfriend, leading in tenderness and listening with heart?
How do I be a fit ... ?

Many times we are not fit. We are not able to do what we are called to do. If running is a problem for you, to be a fit runner, you would have to train, rest, nourish your body, ... consistently. The same is true for every other area of your life.

There is a balance that must be had. There is wisdom to be attained, learning when to say no and when to pursue relentlessly.

I have not discovered the true meaning of 4-D fitness, but I do know that the meaning is much deeper than I once understood. This marks an important milestone of my life journey. I am excited for what lies ahead and in joining with others interested in sharing their life journeys.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit