4-Dimensional Laziness

Therefore, be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise, making the most of your time, because the days are evil.
--Ephesians 5:15-16

I recently started reading the book Making Life Work, by Bill Hybels. The book gives practical advice to everyday situations based on the teachings from the book of Proverbs. As a snapshot, here are some sample questions from the back cover:
What factors are critical to achieving life's goals?
How can I get a friendship back on track?
Why is it so hard to trust God in certain situations?
How can I make a difference in the marketplace?
How should I respond to someone who is angry with me?
What is the surprising result of helping others?
How can I establish a solid financial foundation?
In the second chapter of the book, Bill Hybels talks about the value of taking initiative and the importance of not being a sluggard. He makes the case that most of us struggle with some kind laziness. In other words, that most of us are selectively lazy, lazy in at least one area of our lives.

Personal Example

As a personal example, I find that I have been fairly industrious with my academic work. I work hard (generally) and enjoy the work. I am also a fitness enthusiast, working out regularly and part of the coaching team for Iron Dragons (dragonboat). With this snapshot (and from what my friends may observe), laziness is not a problem for me.

Assuming that I am indeed industrious in my academics and fitness (which is not always true), I have still been selectively lazy. Only recently have I been taking more care of my finances and the cleanliness of my living environment. More importantly, I am currently working on being more industrious with relationships.

Laziness applies to relationships too. A lot of emotions can be left unsaid. Small problems can be left to fester, accumulating over time. Like final academic projects or larger-than-life fitness goals, relationships take work. Making relationships (and life) work involves making wise decisions day by day, especially when no one is there to watch you. But many times, I am lazy - not wanting to deal with my own issues, or relational problems, because it is [insert lame excuse here].

Bringing it all together

My life pursuit is total fitness (1D-, 4D-, 1000D-, N-Dimensional Fitness). The value of N does not matter, but rather, it is about being fit in every area of your life - however you choose to separate your life. To be fit is to have the ability and courage to live the life that you want, with this "want" being based on desire, principles, values, etc.

Laziness is intrinsic to the human condition. We often want to put things off, be it school projects, relational conflicts, financial problems, and so on. However, laziness - in any area of your life - will keep you from living life the way you were meant to live.

Ephesians 5 talks about "making the most of your time" (NASB) or "redeeming the time" (KJV) because the days are evil. We need to live wisely, consistently making wise choices (e.g. tracking finances, communicating, not procrastinating ...).

Much of my life has been lived as unwise. I need to redeem the time, by making wise choices on a daily basis.

Awake, sleeper,
And arise from the dead,
And Christ will shine on you.
--Ephesians 5:14

It is time to wake up. [*cue motivational music :)]

Comments

Ernie T said…
Reminds me of 2 Thessalonians 3:10; but we tend to enjoy and encourage: let us eat and let others work.
Josh Wang said…
Thanks, Ernie! Good reference :) I'll take it to heart.

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit