Lessons from the 1 Rep Max

"Hey mommy, look at me!" (photo credit)

I went to CrossFit for the 1st time in a while. Part of today's workout involved 1 rep max attempts for the push press. I managed a personal best of 155lbs today so I was quite pleased :)

The Feeling of "Bleh"

I was not planning on going to CrossFit today. Actually, I planned on going, but then I ate 4 cups of instant noodles and tried sleeping. I have been feeling "bleh" recently. The source of the "bleh" is hard to pinpoint. It seems to be a combination of physical exhaustion, emotional burden, mental fatigue, and spiritual depravity. Nevertheless, the point is that my entire being (mind, body, soul, heart) was not ready for a 1-rep max.

Rising to the Challenge

A little after 6pm, I walked into the gym, moping around - not my usual self. I made halfhearted attempts at the exercises. Then it came for 1 rep max attempts. Apathetically, I walked up to the bar and tried to do 95lbs, a weight I can usually do easily. To my surprise I had no energy. It wasn't just physical exhaustion ... but everything exhaustion (probably also likely due to the fact that I left my lab at 6am this morning).

I quickly realized that 1 rep max attempts were one of those exercises that need my full attention... "concentrated power of will". My worries melted (...it had to), my fears overcome, my focus sharpened, and my entire being ... fully present.

Presence was lacking the past few days, yet was also essential if I wanted to lift beyond what I normally lift. At times, we are faced with insurmountable challenges. For me, outside of weightlifting, my challenge is my graduate research thesis. With many uncertainties that lie ahead, many thoughts cloud my head and my thinking.

Stress helps, but too much and you can quickly lack focus and presence. Working out provided one avenue of stress relief, leading to a clearer mind. Time with Carol tonight also helped ... a lot! Her smile brightened my day today.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit