Creemore Vertical Challenge 2011

I am an Ultra-Marathoner!

I ran my first ultra marathon this past weekend! Yes, it is "only" 50km, 8km longer than a marathon (an "ultra marathon" is defined as any distance longer than a marathon - 42.2km).

But hey! It was a tough course! Two 25km loops, 870m of vertical ascent per loop, 1/2 trails and 1/2 country roads, 60% uphill, 30% downhill.

It's called the Vertical Challenge for a reason =)

Rediscovery

You learn a lot about the limits of your own body when you run an ultra - or any race, for that matter, especially when it pushes you beyond the limits of your imagination. Many of us fail to see the extent of our God-given potential. Our vision is often clouded by reality. Rather, we should pursue greatness (to be who we were meant to be) in the context of our reality.

Running 50k also teaches you a lot about yourself. You wrestle with a plethora of emotions (joy, pain, anxiety, despair, discouragement, excitement, adventure, and more). And you are forced to dig deep within yourself to find out what kind of person you are.

This is akin to any other kind of race, be it a 5k, 10k, studying for an exam, developing a relationship, mastering a skill. Each individual runs their own race with unique challenges. And each difficult moment presents choice - a point of decision. A person is shaped by the choices they consistently make.

Now without further ado, here are some photos from the race along with some reflections.

Beer and Pizza!

"Come enjoy beer and pizza post-race in a refreshing creek!"

While this may not be enough to motivate some to come out for this insanity, a few men did come, and for that I am grateful.

You will find your motivation to run evolves over time ... as you run.

So, why run, you ask?

Just run.

Community

"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another."
--Proverbs 27:17

It's hard to run a race on your own. I had the privilege of having a running buddy for the first half the 50k (Henry, the guy right beside me). Having others fight alongside me motivates me, empowers me, encourages me, and helps align my heart.

The spiritual race is a much harder race to run. And while possible to run alone, it is much easier to run with others. It's as if we were made for human connection.

Jars of Clay

"But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God not from us."
--2 Corinthians 4:7

Clay is fragile. I know - I accidentally dropped my medal after the race and it broke (I got it replaced).

Clay can be shaped into virtually any shape envisioned by the maker. I won this pot by random draw during the race. Carol has it now :)

We are like clay. Shaped by our Maker. Designed for a purpose. Yet fragile and weak. In His love, complete.

Your Stories :)

I am a Christian runner and this was my experience with my first ultra-marathon. I would love to hear your running stories, whether it's your experience on the run, or your life adventures :)

Post a comment or send me an e-mail joshuahy[dot]wang[at]gmail[dot]com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit