Learning from Paul's letter to the Romans


Recently, I have been taking more time to read the Bible. I came across the Book of Romans and developed a new intrigue. Instead of just seeing it as a book, I saw the Romans. A great ancient civilization. I thought back to my marathon in Rome and of Italy. I opened the book with a renewed interest.

Today I read from the second chapter of this book. There were two things that made an impression on me:

1. Winning Hearts

The end of verse 4 reads "God's kindness is intended to lead you to repentance". That blows my mind! He wants us to repent - to turn from our sins and turn to Him. And instead of ordering us or forcing us against our own volition, he woos us. Some may take His kindness for granted, but others receive this kindness in gratitude and change.

Applying this to my own life, I think about the many times I want things a certain way ... in particular with people. For now, I have found the most effective way to change someone is to inspire them to change and not coerce them to do this (I make an exception for the dragonboat team I coach :P). In winning arguments, many of us lose the person in the process. Winning the person's heart is arguably more important than winning an argument.

2. Glory, Honor, and Immortality!

I think verse 7 is just epic. "To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life." My blood (metaphorically) boils when I hear these words: glory, honor, and immortality.

If you take a running race as an analogy, "glory, honor, and immortality" is a pretty epic finish line! And "eternal life" is a pretty sweet medal! Pursuing glory, honor, and immortality for an entire lifetime takes persistence - like any endurance event.

Whatever the goal is, the key to finishing well is staying power. And to remain committed to a cause with your whole being for a lifetime. Living with excellence and "being the best you can be", as my friend James commented in a previous post.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit