Lessons from the Dentist

Say "Ah" ... "Ah!!!!!"

I had a dentist appointment today. The moral of the story: brush and floss.

The dental hygienist told me that she would have to clean off the calcium deposits from my gums, apparently a result of lingering food that combines with something in my saliva. Basically, I need to floss.

To clean it properly, she said it would end up bleeding and would hurt. She could make it less painful, but it would not really help. I told her that it does not have to be comfortable to help me, and gave her my consent to do her thing.

I was struck by a phrase I have heard many times: It does not have to feel good to be good for you. I find this statement very true. Consider these examples:
  • Dentist cleaning properly (described above)
  • 100 jump squats (re: Iron Dragons 'bonus' workout on Saturday, a.k.a. the Century Club)
  • Working diligently
  • Being patient with a difficult person
  • Drinking bitter tea or medication
  • Running outside when I'm tired or when it's cold
  • Avoiding the salty / sweet snacks when I'm stressed
  • ... and the list goes on
How about you? What's an example of something you don't like doing, but it's good for you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit