Broken Bridges

This image of the Quebec Bridge is a somber reminder of the duty we have as engineers. Having collapsed twice in 1907 and again in 1916, the collapse of the Quebec Bridge spawned the engineers' Iron Ring. The original Iron Rings were made of the metal from this bridge.

Another image comes to mind when I think of broken bridges. This is the image of a relationship, or career, or something that you take hold of... something that you hold onto dearly. This "thing" is the Island that you're connected to through the Bridge.

At times, these Bridges are broken: Bridges to our past that should stay in the past. I have many such Bridges.

I knew something was wrong the moment I saw the "Bridge closed" sign. Looking beyond the sign, I saw that the Bridge was broken. Not realizing that it was never to be traversed again, I secretly sneaked around the sign and crossed the bridge. As I was crossing, I lost my footing due to the damage and fell into the water, being swept to the shore.

You thought I would have learned my lesson - like the engineers of the Quebec Bridge. Yet I crossed the Bridge again, desperately seeking to cross, and not seeking the Cross. I tried being more careful this time. However, this time around, lightning struck and the Bridge snapped in two. Not being able to levitate, I fell into the water and had my arm bitten off by a shark (ref: Shanks). I was visibly shaken from the experience and told myself that would never happen again.

The next day came as if nothing happened. The Bridge was still in a total state of disrepair and my arm was still left untreated. Yet, I left my heart untreated. Detaching myself from my reality, I crossed the bridge yet again in zombie-like monotony. You can imagine what followed after. Yes .. I fell.

Many Broken Bridge crossing attempts later, I finally burned the Bridge and moved on. I asked the Chief Engineer where a good place to build would be and any advice He has in building this new Bridge. He simply smiled and told me to wait.
"For everything there is a season, a time for every matter under heaven..."
--Ecclesiastes 3:1
Then He gave me this chorus from a song as the prayer of my heart:
Strip away all that remains,
For Your glory and Your name,
'Til there's nothing left of me.

Burn the kingdoms I have made,
You will shine and I will fade,
'Til there's nothing left of me.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit