No Mind ...

The Way of the Samurai

In The Last Samurai, starring Tom Cruise, there is a particular scene where Nathan Algren (Tom Cruise) is learning how to fight, samurai style. After a frustrating defeat, a fellow samurai comes over and tells him, "No mind". He then explains that Algren has too many minds - minds on enemy, minds on people watching, etc. The idea of "no mind" is to clear one's mind of any distractions whatsoever.

This is something I need to work on. To be committed fully to the task at hand. I'm very good at being easily distracted. I'm learning to develop a laser sharp focus and keeping my aim on the target until the very end. To persevere on the right things.

Too often, my mind is littered with excuses: headache, tired, can't do it, frustrated, pointless, too difficult. These excuses permeate my physical discipline, spiritual life, and emotional health. An important lesson that I'm working on is to realize that there is a point for me to choose between stimulus and response (i.e. my response is not a direct function of my stimulus ... or it shouldn't be).

Changing your mind

I am also working on maintaining my resolve. On staying the course. On fighting the good fight (1 Timothy 6:11-12). I had a recent experience with my teacher who said that I change my mind too much. I didn't think much of it at the time, but looking back, I realize that I really need to be careful what I commit to. And for the things that I do end up committing to, to follow through.

Renewing your mind

Now this is different (a mind that is renewed opposed to one that is ever-changing). Romans 12:1-2 speaks of new creations. Of transformed bodies and renewed minds. Not "conforming to the patterns of this world, but being transformed by the renewing of your mind". By "patterns of this world", I interpret this as worldly pursuits or seeking the approval of society. What we do must come from who we are - not who others say we are.

So let me ask you these:
  • Who are you?
  • Where are you going? or What is your dream?
  • What are your experiences with the mind?

Comments

http://gracemandeville.blogspot.com please read my blog.

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit