Workouts: Finding my rhythm

INTRODUCTION

I've been wanting to workout consistently for a while now. With the recent injuries, illness, busyness, and a plethora of other lame excuses, I've been having a hard time in finding my rhythm. To find a plan that works for me.

Exercise should be fun. This is what I tell everyone I workout with. If it's not fun, let's stop. I find "fun" to be the best motivator. As one progresses, "fun" takes on new meaning, with definitions overlapping with words such as pain, torture, and goals. Having goals help me endure the pain. So I will share my goals and my plan with you. I will also include my weekly log to document how closely I follow this plan. I would love for you to share in my journey.

GOALS

Oct 24: Niagara Falls 1/2 Marathon: 2:30 pace bunny
Mar 20: Rome Marathon*: 1st Full Marathon!! Goal is to qualify for Boston!
May 15: Mississauga 1/2 Marathon: Goal is 1:30. My current time is a bit under 2 hours ... this will need a "bit" of work ;)
*Details will follow soon

PLAN
  • Monday: Speed Work
  • Tuesday: Weights
  • Wednesday: Hart House Circuit
  • Thursday: Weights
  • Friday: Hart House Circuit
  • Saturday: Long Run
  • Sunday: Rest Day

LOG

Week of Oct 18-25 (Niagara Falls Half!)
Monday: 6pm @ AC. 2k warm-up (~8 min). 4x200m sprint. light weights
Tuesday:
Wednesday:
Thursday:
Friday:
Saturday:
Sunday: 21.1 km @ 2:30 pace =)

Week of Oct 11-17
Monday: Thanksgiving
Tuesday: No workout. Idea for this plan was on Thursday.
Wednesday: 8am. Hart House Circuit. Bronze. 35 min. Empty stomach. 5pm. AC. Weights. Deadlifts (100 x ~100lbs) + random other exercises. 7pm. TKD
Thursday: Missed weights in the morning (sore from working out for the first time in a while).
Friday: 8am. Hart House Circuit. Intro I + 10lbs. 18 min. Light weight training. Empty stomach.
Saturday: rest
Sunday: mini-circuit

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi, Josh. I think (hope) you are the Josh Wang who was the 2:30 pace rabbit for the Niagara Half Marathon. If so, I would like to say THANK YOU so much. I ran with you 95% of the way, and would never have made my goal of sub-2:30 if not for you. Your enthusiam and good spirit were so motivation. Thank you again.
Elizabeth G.
Carolyn said…
Glad to know I'm not the only one who has a life that gets in the way. You're much more advanced than I however. I went from aggressively working out (ran only one marathon, the Midnight Sun in Alaska) but in the past year have lost both of my parents and sat on my butt mourning and eating, packing on 30 lbs. As a 44 year old female, that ain't easy to lose! My body is aging and getting it back is not easy. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated! My blog is http://carolynridderaspenson.blogspot.com/2010/10/aging-gracefully-and-other-things-stuck.html
Josh Wang said…
@Elizabeth:

Hey! Yes, I was the 2:30 pace rabbit =) Congratulations on a job well done! Thanks for helping me keep pace / time. I had a great group and so much fun! All the best with your future running adventures! -Josh

@Carolyn:

Great blog and congratulations on your marathon - the Midnight Sun Marathon sounds really cool! I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I don't fully understand everything you're going through, but here are some thoughts:

1) Jesus: For me, my faith is at the core of what I do, why I workout, how I get through storms of life.

2) A Fit Heart before a Fit Body: Mourning is part of the healing process. 30 lbs is quite a bit but definitely not insurmountable. But before talking about a Fit Body, make sure you have ways to deal with your emotional pain.

3) A Fit Body: Running. Working out. Whatever you enjoy =) I find that pursuing a Fit Body helps in a Fit Heart (and vice versa) - hence my emphasis on 4 Dimensional Fitness. There are two keys to a Fit Body:

a) Nutrition: You definitely know this already, but it's important. Nutrition is more than half the battle. But it starts with small changes. You can still enjoy healthy foods. Two links that I enjoy are:
www.brendanbrazier.com
hotyam.blogspot.com (great recipes!)
*and no, I'm not vegan... yet :)

b) Physical Fitness: this is related to food. I suggest doing activities that are fun (note: this doesn't mean they're always easy :p). And focus more on the process opposed to where you're at. You're right: 30lbs for a 44 yr female. Pretty tough. But you're honest, and that's the first step. Now, instead of focusing on what you "look like in the mirror", focus more on the lifestyle. You're "successful" when you're living a healthy lifestyle and feel good. The weight loss will come. Other things include drinking lots of water and keeping a clean diet.

Disclaimer: I'm a graduate student in Transportation Planning; not an expert in giving advice, be it in fitness or life issues ... but I'm passionate about these things and talk from my experiences and the experiences of others.

I'd be happy to help you along this journey if you like (i.e. check in once in a while or keep in contact). My email is joshuahy.wang@gmail.com. Feel free to contact me directly or post more comments =)

Hope this post finds you with a smile,

Josh =)
Mimi said…
Your blog is motivating. You've inspired me to start planning my workouts. I'm excited about that... perhaps I should adopt the morning workout that way I'll stop cutting excuses for not making it to the gym hehe.

Stay motivated!

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit