Steadfastness: It's time to just do it

Proverbs 19:22

What is desired in a man is steadfast love ...

Jeremiah 9:23-24

Thus says the LORD: "Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the LORD who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the LORD."

During CCF Elections, someone asked each person what we'd like to improve upon. For me, I answered, "Steadfastness".

By "steadfastness", I mean developing the character to stay fast. To have staying power. To be constant. Like a rock. This applies in all dimensions:
- Body: Rock solid. Disciplined. Control over diet and fitness.
- Mind: Unshakable resolve. Unswerving dedication to mastering your art
- Spirit: Spiritually solid. Grounded. Rooted.
- Heart: Emotionally stable. Reliable.

Steadfastness and stagnant are different things. Being steady and boring are also different things.

Proverbs talks about steadfast love being desired in a man. Okay, well maybe this doesn't apply to everyone, but I know I want that. To have a kind of love that doesn't change. To be steady. Solid. Reliable. Oftentimes, emotionally-driven love can be amazingly amazing, yet also exist on the other extreme as well. This is not to say that steadfast love cannot have emotion - in fact, it must have emotion. Steadfast love cannot exist without emotion, but it cannot be emotionally-driven.

Jeremiah tells of the best thing to boast about: knowing God. Knowing that he practices steadfast love. God is love (1 John 4:16). He loves because that's just who he is.

This kind of love, I still do not comprehend. This discipline. This staying power. It seems to escape me everytime I pursue it. Trying to break free from coffee, trying to discipline my life (eating healthy, working out, etc...). What is the secret? To simply say the answer is God would be naive of me. Or for that matter, to give any answer would be naive of me. ... if my life remains unaffected.

I have this dream of helping as many people smile as possible. To have them smile because they can start taking control over their lives. Whether it is helping them start businesses, helping them build homes, treating illnesses, showing them Jesus.... I want to see as many genuine smiles as possible. In pursuit of that dream, I need to start taking control of my own life. I need to let my life be under God's control, and not by my natural instincts (be they laziness, pride, selfishness, or whatever).

If I cannot coach myself to become stronger, how can I possibly even entertain the thought of coaching others to their personal best?

So, enough of the words. Despite the difficulties, it's time to just do it. To just:
- take up my cross and follow Jesus (Luke 9:23-24)
- go to the gym
- eat healthy
- manage finances / house
- work diligently

It's time to just do it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit