The Coffee Purge Reloaded: Day 2

Yes, it's Day 2. I just got into the office and poured myself half a cup of office coffee (with a bit of half and half to offset the acidity). My goal for today is to drink no more than this one cup, drinking plenty of water, and snacking on my packed meal of oats / quinoa / chicken.

I feel really good today. This morning I had my usual struggle waking up. It was a stupidly hard fight to get up and have been having a weird time breathing in the mornings the past while. Anyways, after the little wrestle, I put on some running gear and went for a run (around 7:30am). It's been a while and I was feeling quite out of shape. But the thrill of being able to run again was indescribable. With my ankle almost healed, the run was liberating. I feel I can smile again. I think I'm starting to get hooked on a new drug (moving from caffeine to endorphins).

Christian Hedonist. That would pretty much describe me. In pursuit of pleasure and believing that the greatest joy, if found, comes from God himself. We're often too easily satisfied. Cheap joy. Anyways, this term, "Christian Hedonist", I borrow from John Piper. So along these lines, I've also been too easily satisfied, settling from the bag of stale chips when there's an all-you-can-eat sushi buffet 5km down the road. One example has been my energy. I've been "satisfied" with caffeine. But the kick from endorphins is natural and so much better. The flip side is ... it requires hardwork >< So for me, this means, kicking myself and getting up in the morning, focusing on work during work, cutting distractions, working wholeheartedly on the task at hand.

Romans 13:14 says, "But put on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make no provision for the flesh, to gratify its desires." My "flesh" has many desires, among them being slothfulness and laziness. I find that in fighting these small battles in life, I become better prepared to face the larger fights in life - be they in relationships, personal struggles, or stupid stuff that come up in life.

At the end of Proverbs 24 -- I love this! -- it says: "A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come upon you like a robber, and want like an armed man."

I remember the Josh of the Past ... smiling and excited for life... working with diligence ... resolved to quit coffee ... turned the gym into his second home ... and I see this in my heart's reflection ... my body, mind, soul, and heart awakening once again to my call in life.

It's time to finish what I started -- be it big or small. Let's do this (:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit