Two questions

Recently, I have been wrestling with two questions:
  1. Who am I?
  2. Where am I going?
What am I good at? What is my calling? What am I made for? What's my purpose in life?

These questions are examined in light of my work, career choices, research, relationships, and just life. Very often, I have allowed these externalities answer my life questions of identity and destiny. However, who I am should influence what I do, and not the other way around. My life should be missional and my vision laser-focused.

This probably goes without saying, but there are two types of lights: lasers and light bulbs. Light bulbs illuminate the entire room, its energy dispersed throughout the room. A laser's energy is focused on one spot, with enough energy to cut through metal. There are times when we have to be light bulbs and other times when we have to be lasers. When having a discussion with a close friend, being a laser can make it hard for you to understand the other person. However, with your life mission, being a light bulb can seem like you're doing a lot (lighting the entire room), but having no real impact at all. I believe things like your life mission need to be like lasers. Your passion, your calling, or whatever you call it ... takes work. And requires persistence. Courage. Consistency. Dedication.

Hebrews 12:1-3 says,

1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit