The Intensity of Love

"I love you." What does this three word statement mean to you?

This past weekend, I was with the Iron Dragons in Montreal. As a coach, I don't paddle - so why was I there? I wasn't even drumming nor steering. Just coming along to support the team. The answer is quite simple: because I love them. Explaining this love to its fullest is difficult in words. But to give you an idea, here are a few examples. At the beginning of the season, I was considering joining another team to paddle. I wanted to get stronger, become a better coach, and quite simply, I loved being on the water. I joined that team for the first race and had so much fun. But time has been very precious for me this summer and I had to choose between paddling for another team or coaching the Iron Dragons (ID). I've only been on the team (ID) for 2 years, have barely any steering experience, and felt quite inadequate as a coach -- especially in light of the super awesomeness of our past coaches. As you may already know, I chose to coach and I love it! The joy and fun derived from this is ten times more amazing than if I were paddling for another team for my own pleasure. Seeing 20+ individuals go from engineers to athletes, seeing them smile and laugh, seeing them grow as friends ... it's hard to beat that. I get a taste of how giving is better than receiving.

I love the Iron Dragons. I love the team. I love my friends at CCF. I love my family. But I'm far from understanding what love really is. From grasping the intensity of love. The Holy Bible (Christianity) talks about this guy named, Jesus, fully God and fully man. Why? To die that you and I might live. Romans 5:1-8 tells about how God loves us so much that He died for us while we were still sinners. Now that's Intense Love!

In this world today, we have cheapened this four letter word into a commodity (l-o-v-e). But here, we see a picture of a God who loves us that He sent His own Son to die for us (John 3:16). Isaiah 53, especially verses 4-6, gives a graphic picture of what this Jesus did for you and me.

Am I trying to convert you to Christianity? Hmm ... I wouldn't say I'm trying to -- maybe I should. The intention of this discourse has been to give a reason for what I do. That I have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. He is my Lord and Master ... my Sensei, if you will. And His love for me inspires me to love others. My love for others pales in comparison to His. My intensity, mild and weak(sauce). But it's this love that inspires me. That moves me into action. And drives whatever inner strength that I have.

What inspires you? What dictates the rhythm of your life? I'd love to hear your stories.

Comments

James said…
Aw, we love you too Josh!

As for me, I'd say it's my innate desire to improve myself that inspires and drives me.
Anonymous said…
1 John 4:19 We love because he first loved us.

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit