Coffee: Learning to Let Go

A good friend of mine introduced me to the No Meat Athlete's blog post on quitting coffee. I find that I identify with Matt, being an avid runner and a coffee lover. One of my favorite posts he wrote was about coffee talking. Here's an excerpt of what coffee has been telling me:

Hi Josh,

How's it going? I know things are a bit rough now, but don't worry, it's going to be okay. I know you tried to quit me before. You even went 2 weeks without even touching me! The "coffee purge", haha! That's a good one :) I'm not trying to make fun of you, but let's face it -- you can't live without me. When people think of you, they think of two words: coffee and running. Rejecting me is like rejecting yourself.

Things have been much better after you decided to drink again. It's for the best. Yes, I know, you feel like you've been run over a truck. Okay, fine, I tempted you with a new drink: the Grande Quad Long Americano. But I had to! I would have lost you if I didn't. You were about to get back into your whole "coffee purge" thing. I could sense that you're still not fully addicted to me. But hey! Isn't it beautiful? Four beautiful shots of expresso. And bless that Starbucks barista who introduced you to the long version of my expresso. You even had it two days in a row! Saturday and Sunday! Don't you feel great! Okay, the random heart problems, the messed up feeling in your body and head, it's only temporary. You'll get used to it. Good things are worth fighting for, right? And besides, you age faster ... I mean, life goes by a lot quicker with me :) It's more exciting this way! Trust me. I have your best interests in mind (since you and I are the same, my interests are yours, right?)

Hope you are well. Have an awesome coffee-filled week ... I mean life! It's going to be awesome!

Until next time,

Coffee

Okay, in case you don't know me, I'm trying to get off coffee. It's a slow process, but I'm learning to let go. Matt's (The No Meat Athlete) primary motivation for quitting coffee and becoming vegan was to reach his fitness goals, among them including a Boston Qualifier. Cutting "drugs" and unhealthy foods was his way of achieving his goals. While I will not be following the same path (i.e. cutting meat), I'll be following the same idea in principle. I'll be trying to cut things from my life that stop me from getting to where I need to be.

Hebrews 12:1-3.
Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.

There are many different goals I have and things I need to cut to get there. My goals include fitness goals, career goals, financial goals, personal development goals, and so on. To start, here are my current fitness goals:
  • Boston Qualifier (3:10): current focus - base endurance and half marathon time
  • Bodyweight: Bench Press, Squats, Deadlifts (10 reps by end of June)
  • 20 deadhang pullups (end of June)
  • 150 strict pushups by GWN (50 by end of May)
Post up any fitness goals you have and let's keep each other accountable.

To close, I picked up John Maxwell's Talent is Never Enough. I am finding the book quite helpful in finding focus and motivation in achieving my goals. More on this in future posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

Agatsu Level 2 Prep