Dating Coffee: Josh and Coffee are no longer in a relationship

A few weeks ago, I picked up Susan Zimmer's book, I Love Coffee, from Canadian Tire. Simply put, I love coffee! I enjoy the warmth, the feeling, the comfort, the aroma, the taste ...

A couple weeks ago (Apr 6th to be exact), I started my "Coffee Purge", doing anything and everything to stay off coffee. Lemons, water, apples, and the occasional chocolate snack helped me with cutting coffee. I was feeling great!

This past Tuesday (Apr 20th), I decided to drink coffee again in the evening. So ends my Coffee Purge of 2 weeks. I started dating coffee again. The following day, I drank some more, longing for the comfort and intimacy I had with this beautiful drink. Our relationship seemed to be going great. I was happy with coffee and coffee was happy with me (or at least the coffee industry was :P).

Within the first couple days, I immediately noticed a difference. This energy wasn't mine anymore. It was someone else's. I was letting coffee take over my life. Instead of enjoying life through coffee, I went through some crazy times with coffee. Just when I thought things were going to be good again, when we could go out for long walks and enjoy the sunrise/sunset at Starbucks, I quickly realized I entered this relationship too prematurely. How I've been fooled by coffee. Instead of an amazing friendship, I found myself stuck back in the same abusive relationship. Coffee doesn't want to mess me up like this, or at least I don't think it does. However, it seems that is just the nature of coffee. That's just what it is. It just tastes good. It just smells amazing. It just makes you feel so awake and alive again.

We've been in a relationship for 3 years maybe. I got started just before I went to Seattle and when got to the Emerald City (Seattle), I fell in love. Throughout the past year, we were on / off, taking an intentional break recently for 2 weeks. After trying it again for the past 4 days, I've decided to break up with coffee.

Maybe I'll end up loving this wonderful drink again. But for now, I need to cut my ties with it. To burn my bridges of the past -- not just have a "temporarily closed down" sign on the bridge.

As I move on to the next chapter of my life, I'm grateful for the family and friends I have and for the God I serve. They've been awesome support as I go through this difficult time.


Comments

pam said…
Respect for your coffee purge! Try out tea instead, baby steps to get yourself off coffee (:

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit