A Time of Renewal

Renewal is a part of life. Things must die to allow for new growth. There are the seasons of plants. Animals giving birth to their babies. The "circle of life". Similarly, people also experience times of renewal within a lifetime. Times of physical, emotional, spiritual, and intellectual renewal. Times of refreshing.

For me, I have been going through a time of renewal. Primarily a spiritual renewal, but bringing times of refreshing to every part of my life. This verse from the Holy Bible comes to mind:

Acts 3:19 "Repent, then, and turn to God, so that your sins may be wiped out, that times of refreshing may come from the Lord"

Things must die to allow for new growth. For me, it was primarily sin. Sinful thoughts. Sinful relationships. Sinful attitudes. Sin being traditionally defined as "anything we say, think or do that breaks God's law". God was calling me to a time of renewal. He wanted to pour out His Holy Spirit on me. But according to A.W. Tozer, being filled with the Spirit means you need to want the Holy Spirit over the Selfish Spirit. Yes, there are multitudes of blessings to be had for the Spirit-filled believer; but are you willing to relinquish your rights to yourself and let your thoughts, words, and actions be ruled by someone else? Can you surrender? That was the hardest question for me. One that I had to face and something that I wrestle with day by day.

Accountability refers to responsibility. To an obligation to another. To aspire higher, I have begun to seek the help of others in this journey. Those who I have asked to keep me accountable, ask me two questions:
1. Are there things in your life that is taking you away from God? (Distractions)
2. Are you spending time with God? (Relationship)

Another set of accountability questions used by a pastor I met in Seattle are as follows:

Weekly Accountability Questions:
  1. Have you been involved in any inappropriate relationships?
  2. Have any of your financial dealings lacked integrity?
  3. Have you exposed yourself to any sexually explicit material?
  4. Have you spent adequate time in Bible study and prayer?
  5. Have you given priority time to your family?
  6. Have you faithfully served God?
  7. Have you just lied?
These are hard hitting questions. Not for the faint-hearted. I aspire to the love Maria from the Sound of Music spoke of. In answering one of the children's question how she (Maria) knew that she loved father, Maria replied that she started thinking more of him than herself. Thinking of his needs over hers. A love that consumes your thoughts.

I recently picked up C.S. Lewis' autobiography, Surprised by Joy. I hope to learn from the great thinkers of the past. Those who have walked before me. To follow in the footsteps of giants.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit