You choose your attitude

Recently I injured my ankle. It's 9:30 PM here in Seattle. I sprained it yesterday (Sunday) while playing soccer. Upon the recommendation of my dad, I went to see a local physiotherapist. I found out that I ruptured my anterior talofibular ligament. Sounds bad doesn't it? Well...

The bad: it's permanent damage. My right ankle is more prone to injury.
The good: no fracture. And foot can be trained to develop better proprioception (basically with that ligament gone, my foot will have a harder time getting by with the smaller connections between my talus and fibula bones).

My choice: I still plan to train for a marathon. I'm going to do the exercises prescribed by the physiotherapist. I'm going to pace myself and slowly work my way up. But no way am I going to lower my intensity! Right after work, I went to the YMCA and went for a swim. I tied up my legs so I wouldn't kick and injure my legs, and swam 1 km (40 laps for a 25 m length pool).

Intensity. Persistence. Determination.

Resilience.

Comments

~*AyDa*~ said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
~*AyDa*~ said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily said…
Hey Josh,
Wow, I'm so sorry about your foot! I actually learned what that ligament was from anatomy haha. I really admire your ability to persevere through this and not lower your intensity in training for the marathon! It really encourages me to also strive for my best even in pain. My workouts have been pretty much non-existent this semester but my salsa class is quite intense surprisingly:)
Well, keep up the great work!
Emily

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

The Unofficial Guide to the Hart House Circuit