Freezing for Cancer!

It was a chilly day today at the LCBO. I got there and was set-up by 11am and stayed till 7pm, though I was tempted many times to leave early. When I arrived, I had just come out of a warm shower so I toughed out the cold for the first hour. Soon, however, the chill became unbearable, and with the permission of the manager, I moved inside the foyer (see below). This was also quite chilly, as the doors kept opening and closing, but at least there was a heater in that area.

My mom came by to visit during the first half and took these first two photos. She also helped me setup and brought me some food. What is more, she even stood there for several minutes, collecting donations, allowing me to take a much needed washroom break.

The photo below shows me towards the end of my 8 hour shift. By then, I had overcome my shyness, asking anyone and everyone for spare change. I had also become accustomed to rejection, taking it personally before. You never know if you don't ask, right?

Staying motivated was difficult. Always smiling was a challenge, but a friend sent me a text reminding me to make others smile :) I then smiled, thinking about a revised version of my dream: to serve my community and to make others smile. Other things that helped were reciting verses from the Bible (i.e. the Beatitudes and Psalm 19), singing, reminding myself of those who suffer, and laughing a little =)


Towards the end, I had the pleasant surprise of a friend coming by to visit. Andre, an accomplished athlete and friend from the dragonboat team, came by to visit and keep me company to the end of my shift. I really appreciate friends like him. The thought of such friends make me smile as I write this.

The end result was some bills and a lot of coins. The unofficial total is $389 - which isn't bad when you consider it's an average hourly rate of approx. $48 / hour! I'll update my fundraising progress once I confirm it with Natalie, my super awesome campaign coordinator :)

I had a great time freezing for cancer! Fortunately, I didn't actually freeze. I ended the night with a warm snack with family and dumplings with a friend. Dumplings. Are. Amazing. What a way to end the night! My bed beckons me!

Until next time ... Smile with Lots of Love,

--Josh

Comments

Astrorider said…
Thumbs double up!
Anonymous said…
Great job buddy your gonna get there with all your hard work. -Alan
Sports Guy said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sports Guy said…
Great job buddy your gonna get there with all your hard work. -Alan
J.Siu said…
you are an inspiration josh :)

Popular posts from this blog

30 Day Morning Miracle Challenge

Agatsu Level 2 Prep